Monday, April 16, 2012

Product Review Bowflex Select Tech 910

I promised earlier in the blog that I would give a review of the Select Tech 910 dumbbells which I use for my workouts.  I did quite a bit of research and as you may guess the selection is based on personal preference.  I compared them to the Power Bloc and chose the Select Tech.  My primary reason was that the hand space was very tight in the Power Bloc.  I have talked with other people that have larger hands and they seem to get by with the Power Bloc.  It is really a trade off, and you have to decide which works better.  I mention it being a trade off because the Select Techs are very large, at least the 910s are.  The 910 are capable of providing 10 to  90 pounds each and they are a little long to provide for the extra 40 pounds over the Select Tech 510 which are only 5 to 50 pounds each.  I have been shopping for a set of dumbbells for my wife and have considered the Power Blocs for her.  Again, it will be more what she is comfortable with.

I will say that the extra length of the 910s can be problematic and something you have to allow for.  There are several exercises in P90X where the length may cause some minor form issues, or at least some positioning problems.  I don't know that this would be the same with the 510s but there are some exercises where I have exceeded the 50 pound limit of the 510s so I am glad that I purchased the larger set.  For the most part, someone may be able to get by with the 510s and supplement the lower weight with a greater number or reps in those exercises where you are able to pull more than 50 pounds.  Right now my only exercise where I pull 50 is lawnmowers, and I should be above that by the end of the month.

I guess the moral of the story here is to shop around, look at your program, and figure out which fits you the best.  If you have the cash and room, you can always go for the full set instead of the variable weight sets.  For the most part, I am very pleased with my selection.  I have been using them since last July, and I have not hand any issues with the construction.  If I had to give a numerical rating I would give them 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment